Tuesday 30 December 2008

Review of 2008

I have my last ever Woolworth’s Christmas ‘pick and mix’ pot on my desk. It is an icon of my childhood and indeed my adult life of family Christmas times over the last 24 years or so. Now even Woolworth’s is closing. Is nothing certain!
Everything in life can feel very fragile and vulnerable. In reality, if it were not for God it all would be. Our health in all aspects: physical, emotional and mental. Our financial provision and employment, family well being, our houses, cars, laptops, clothes, friendships, churches, travel and abilities. God provides ‘daily bread’ of all kinds. The list of all that could be vulnerable is endless. In Job we are told of God ‘if it were his will and he withdrew his Spirit all mankind would perish together’ Our next breath is not just natural, it is the gracious provision of a sustaining God. Therefore I say ‘thank you Jesus for all your provision over the last year’
I write these things as looking back over 2008 there are many things I wish were different, many things I wish had not happened, many things I wonder why I have had to deal with this. But when put in perspective. I have had health, provision, grace and guidance to deal with everything life has brought my way. As again Scripture says ‘his divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness’.
Have I grown in God? Have we as a church? Have we as a family? Have I done all God required of me, being faithful to his calling? I suppose ‘yes’ and ‘no’ would both be true. I feel I have spent more time reacting to things than initiating things. I rarely meet people who do not feel in some ways like this. Sometimes we realise our personal world has a magnifying glass on it and when we step back and see the vastness of the world and God’s purposes being outworked, whilst we are not insignificant we are smaller than we think when we reflect on ourselves with ‘sober judgement’ as we are advised to do. This brings appropriate humility and a worship of Jesus who is higher than all. I am grateful to have had another year to love and serve him. I am grateful to have had another year of a wonderful family sharing life with me. I am grateful I have not yet finished ‘that for which Christ took hold of me’ as I am still here and ‘pressing on’. And what of 2009? The best is yet to be! And afterwards eternity!

No comments: