Wednesday 26 March 2008

The voice of the Lord

This Easter it snowed, hard! Enough to enable folks to build a ‘snow bunny’ in the Garden and for the cat to skate about in several inches of the white stuff.

As I have a few days off this week, most mornings I have walked on the beach. To walk in the snow on the beach is a very nice if unusual experience. The crunch of the snow underfoot and the lap of the waves on the shore, make a strange combination.

Whilst on my way back from one such walk. Everything was very quite then suddenly, a songbird started singing loudly. The beauty of this song was quite remarkable. No other noise, no other distraction. It made me think when we hear the voice of the Lord it is also beautiful and above every other sound. Nothing else quite matches it.

One of the first times I heard the voice of the Lord in my heart was at the age of 17 when I heard Malcolm Pears preach the gospel at the Bethel. I knew it was God even though it was convicting and arresting to me. I knew I had to bow the knee to Jesus and give my life to him, begin to follow him as my saviour. It was beautiful then, it is beautiful now.

Anytime the voice of the Lord pierces into my world like the songbirds captivating notes it is as welcome. The voice of the Lord will always amplify and draw attention to who he is as faithfully portrayed in Scripture. It is a clear and distinct voice.

The voice of the Lord will always say things to us I our immediate circumstances in keeping with the principles written in Scripture. However the day to day reality of God’s voice breaking into the ordinary world of an ordinary bloke in particular circumstances is even more beautiful than the songbird that God created anyway to display something of his awesome majesty.

I thank God he speaks. I thank God his voice is always beautiful and releasing never condemning or imprisoning. His voice is wisdom, strength guidance, provision, encouragement. His voice is like the sound of many waters. Nothing other sound compares to it.

Some for one reason or another do not expect God to speak to them. How odd it would be to have a God with such wonderful things to say but with no desire to say them. The Holy Spirit does speak today. ‘Today if you hear his voice do not harden your heart’ is the encouragement Hebrews gives to us. ‘Speak Lord for your servant is listening’ was Samuels life position. And you?

No comments: